Farm-gate (wholesale) revenue dipped sharply in 2008-2009 and the nursery industry's share of California Agriculture dropped to 9.1% of total farm output.
What's New Front Page
Economic Impact Report Released for 2008-2009
The latest year's economic data for the nursery industry have been compiled and released by Dr. Hoy Carman, Professor Emeritus, Agricultural and Resource Economics at University of California-Davis. It reveals that the combined onslaught of drought, recession, the housing slump, and regulatory measures hit the industry hard. Here are key highlights drawn from the report:
- Total sales impact: wholesale sales $3.75 billion, retail sales $11.74 billion.
- Nursery enjoyed an uninterrupted 7.4% average annual growth rate (AGR) over 15 years from 1992-2007, but fell 19.4% in 2008-2009 due to the combined impacts of recession, drought, and the homebuilding collapse.
- California nurseries are uniquely urban and geographically diverse: 55 out of 58 California counties produce nursery crops. Nursery crops are the top-ranked agricultural commodity in 12 out of 58 counties.
- California nursery and floriculture generate 192,065 jobs: 3,549 producers employ 74,940 for a total payroll of $1.78 billion, while 11,142 retail outlets employ 76,225 for a total payroll of $2.29 billion. Indirect effects add 40,900 jobs worth $1.5 billion, for a total of 192,065 jobs worth $5.6 billion.
- California leads the nation with 21.9% of total nursery production and 8.7% of lawn and garden retail sales.
- Combined, nursery and floriculture are California’s #2 agricultural commodity, producing 9.1% of the state’s total agricultural output.
Read a summary of Dr. Carman's report by downloading a pdf, below. To obtain a copy of the full report, "Economic Impacts of the California Nursery Industry, 2008-2009," contact Robert Dolezal, Executive VP, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (916) 928-3900 Extension 17.
Download Additional Information
Read a summary of the most recent economic report on the nursery industry